Our goal: The BMTFA (British Metals Tubes and Fittings Association) is a Trade Association proud to represent the interests of its members who are involved in the manufacture and distribution of metal tubes and fittings in the UK. Our goal is to provide a dedicated, representative voice for the metal tubes and fittings industry. By engaging with partners and stakeholders on behalf of our members, we aim to ensure that the industry works as effectively as possible in the interests of our members and their customers.
As part of the BMTFA’s role we have sought to understand how the lessons learned from the Grenfell disaster could be implemented by our membership.
Judith Hackitt’s independent review of building regulations and fire safety provides us with a starting point in that changes to regulatory regimes can assist with safety but on their own will not be sufficient unless we:
- Change the culture away from one of doing the minimum required for compliance.
- Take ownership and responsibility for delivering a safe system throughout the life cycle of a product/system/project.
In this regard, BMTFA’s primary concern is to ensure that products comply with the applicable standards. Our technical focus continues to this day to ensure the quality of all products supplied in or imported into the UK satisfy the specifications of the UK, European, and world markets. Products are required to be fit-for-purpose and they need to be demonstrably safe, of good quality, and meet specifications required by customers. This, in our view, is one of the key messages from Grenfell.
As BMTFA is a Trade Association, we are unable to provide any kind of endorsement or recommendation regarding products in use. Equally we cannot recommend whether certain products should be used in place of those that have been certified to a standard. If regulation alone is insufficient, we would propose that the following are also observed as key lessons learned:
- Product Integrity: Ensure the accurate provision and use of manufacturer product information and it is fit-for-use.
- Project and Product Information: Badges of conformity can assist professionals and their clients make increasingly complicated decisions more quickly and safely. They help people without the technical expertise know what to ask for. However, they are only as good as the product or manufacturing testing and approval system upon which they rely. That testing or approval system must be robust, transparent, and trusted.
- Competence: Consider the minimum level of product understanding required to interact with product in question.
Disclaimers: Please refer to our Terms and Conditions for further information.
Membership: Is available to companies who manufacture and distribute Metal Tube, Fittings and associated products used in their installation and who are UK based or have wholly owned subsidiary companies based in the UK. If you would like to find out more about BMTFA membership please click on the link below and we will be in touch.